For the regular Indian family, a hatchback is usually the pathway to step into the four-wheel world. Mostly, the first car buyer usually buy – is a hatchback as it is relatively easy to maneuver, peppy for the quick drift to the nearby places and is adequately spacious for a family of four/five. Getting confused in selecting the right car for this Diwali season? We are here with the detailed information on premium hatchbacks of 2015.
Hyundai Elite i20 :
Decades have passed since we are seeing Maruti 800, Alto, and Hyundai Eon being the hatchback benchmark and first car for many owners. Till late 2000 we all were unaware of the word premium in the hatchback segment but it was i20 who introduce us with the same in 2008. In 2014, it received a facelift carrying latest fluidic design and new features which result it to earn many awards. Recently, to tackle the popularity of new Jazz, company has introduced a touchscreen infotainment system on the top variant of i20. With the price range of Rs. 5.34-8.28 lakh, it is dominating the segment with over 9000 units a month.
- Eye soothing sharp design making it the smartest car in the segment
- Offers best in class space thanks to the longest wheelbase
- Exceptional performance underpinned by great drivability
- Hyundai’s fuss free ownership is an added advantage.
- Dynamics aren’t of enthusiast taste, Polo is more fun to drive
- Headroom is limited at rear for taller passengers
- A bit on the pricey side
In 2008, when Jazz launched was league ahead of the competition, be it space, features or refinement level. Thanks to its high price range and small size, it was completely neglected by the Indian masses at that time and what happened then is history. Honda has decided to re-launch it in 2015 but this time with more firm strategy, higher localization level and exciting H design philosophy. Jazz’ front fascia with matte black finish grille, sweptback headlamps and MPV inspired silhouette inspired many to go for the new version of Jazz. New Jazz is one of the feature rich hatchbacks with elements like touchscreen system, CVT with paddle shifters, automatic climate control with touch panel, reverse parking camera with guidelines and many more. With the new Jazz, Honda has given 1.5 i-DTEC diesel engine which churns out second best in segment fuel efficiency of 27.3 KMPL. If you are looking for a car with spacious cabin, long list of features and tempting design then new Jazz is just tailor made for you.
- Sharp and aggressive design
- Segment best 354 liter of boot space
- Practical and spacious cabin
- Loaded with never ending list of features
- NVH levels could have been improved
- Sluggish performance of the petrol engine
- 175mm tyres look puny for the such a big hatchback
Maruti’s Swift has been the most popular vehicle in the premium segment, which got overshadowed by hatches like Hyundai’s Elite i20 and recently launched new Honda Jazz. Therefore, Maruti launched its new premium hatchback Baleno to tackle the growing popularity of Elite i20 and Jazz. Though, it looks like a big brother of Swift but it has some elements that distinguish it from the latter like V shaped grille, big projector headlamps with DRLs, C shaped tail lamps and coupe like sloping roofline. When you get inside the cabin, you’ll be surprised by the premiumness of the cabin flanked by Smartplay infotainment system with apple car play, automatic climate control. For safety, all the variants come with dual airbag, ABS and EBD as standard.
- Competitive price range
- Delivers best in class fuel efficiency in diesel trim
- Matchless after sales service
- Headroom at rear is on the shorter side
- Inclusion of bigger engines would add to its plus point.