Renault has launched the AWD version of its only successful car Duster with some tweaks inside the car and some minor cosmetic changes outside, but moreover design and looks of the car is same like ongoing Duster. SUV segment is so stiff so let’s have a look on what AWD duster brings new to the car lovers.
- Renault Duster AWD has two variants RxL which is priced at Rs. 11.89 lakh and RxZ which costs you at Rs. 12.99 lakhs both the prices are Ex- Showroom Delhi.
- Price is competitive when we look at segment’s competition with Ford ECO sport and Nissan Terrano, Duster AWD stands in between the Eco sport and Terrano in pricing segment.
- Duster’s successful past performance might tempt you buy AWD for the same offering as it is not a bad deal at all.
Engine & Performance:
- Duster AWD is based on idrive technology which is powered by 1.5L K9 diesel engine producing 108.5BHP power and 245nm torque which is mated to 6 speed manual transmission
- Most significant change in AWD as name suggests it is now based on all wheel drive system which gel well together with engine and slushy roads.
- Ride and Handling of Duster series was not an issue and AWD is no different with excellent ride quality though lag is there up to 2200rpm but it passes through that mark it is just a smooth ride.
- Duster AWD is now versed with three driving modes- 2WD, auto and 4WD, In Rxz variant there is an additional mode i.e. ‘Eco’ mode.
- AWD stays stable during high speeds, steering wheel is light and responsive, AWD is slight rift through corners but not that bad either.
- AWD Duster reaches 0-100 in 13 seconds which is half a second slower than its 2WD brother, but Overall performance of AWD is quite impressive and pleasing.
- Fuel efficiency of Duster AWD has been by some percent which is at 19.72 KPL and much better than its competitors.
Space & Dimensions:
- Most attractive point about Duster AWD dimension is AWD’s brilliant ground clearance of 210mm which is perfect for Indian roads and AWD ground clearance is even better than some bigger sized cars.
- Front and rear passengers will enjoy sufficient headroom space as tallness of car is good, but rear passengers might have to satisfy themselves in cramped legroom space.
- Another con for Duster AWD SUV is it’s just a 5 Seater car, Mahindra come up with its 7 seater Scorpio with similar price range so it might not be good for Duster.
- Duster AWD has wheelbase of 2673m which supports the AWD very well and better than the competitors.
- Boot capacity of 410 liters is more than adequate which can be extended further by folding last row seats.
- Storage space is also sufficient with two cup holders near gear knob, bottle holders at front doors, front seat back pockets, spacious glove box with lamp and twin parcel trey at rear.
- Interior of AWD Duster in now improved with various good changes and additions which make the cabin cooler than ever.
- Seats get luxurious with red-black upholstery and premium quality fabrics being used which looks very pleasing.
- Black grey Dashboard is now equipped with improved new gizmos and piano black finish A/C vents.
- Central console now gets touchscreen infotainment system with multi function displays and right underneath it get a button 2WD, auto and 4WD lock mode and one Eco button is also there for better fuel efficiency.
- AWD gets three spoke steering wheel with steering mounted controls, this trendy steering wheel is replacing the dull looking thick and basic two spoke steering wheel.
- Rear side has armrests with two cup holders and a lot cooler rear A/C vents with two blowers.
- Front side is quite similar to the current one with no much change it is as muscular like the previous GEN Duster.
- AWD gets new smoky black shaded headlamps which looks nice and goes well with the front fascia of Duster.
- Side of the car is decorated with AWD stickers on both the sides, black b pillars and 16” alloy wheels. Body colored ORVM’s and door handles are carried from the predecessor Duster.
- Rear side of the car is now equipped with AWD badge which is the only change that differentiate AWD from regular Duster.
- Besides these above mentioned changes Duster looks similar to its previous series car with no change in dimensions of the car.
- Duster AWD besides from AWD change come with some new safety features which not only add up to the feature list of AWD Duster but also make car a lot safer.
- AWD consist safety features like Dual airbags, ASR, ESP, rear defoggers, 3 pointer seat belts, stability control and traction control.
- It carries some special features like hill hold control, emergency brakes, quick deceleration warning system and impact sensing door unlock feature.
- Other features like engine immobilizer, anti-theft system, rear parking camera with display and Cruise control makes it a safer car for the passengers and to ride.
Duster is most successful car for Renault and this time around they come up with all wheel drive system. Ride and Handling of duster is excellent, fuel efficiency gets touch higher and interior gets a big improvement. Price is also very competitive, so overall AWD is clear winner in all aspects and it gets thumps up from our side.