It’s just been a month when Ford launched its first ever sub 4m compact sedan, Figo Aspire and without a doubt has got a tremendous response in the Indian market. To further cash in the success of Aspire, the American car maker has launched new GEN Figo hatchback with similar styling to its sedan sibling. The first GEN model used to the best selling model at that time with an average of 5000 units a month but as the time passes the competition became stiff the figures came down to 1200 units a month.
New GEN model looks a stylish hatch model which gets a lot of comfort and interior goodies with this update. The new model gets new range of engines which make it hugely promising at least on paper. We took this New GEN Ford Figo for a short spin and hence here we are to share our experience with you.
- Even after the increment in price due to the update, it still remains one of the affordable hatchbacks in its segment.
- Now, it carries the price range between Rs. 4.29-7.40 lakhs.
- Though the top variants of the hatchback are on the expensive side but they do come with six airbags and an automatic gearbox to justify the price.
- It is now available with the engines we saw on Figo Aspire which is definitely a bonus point for the hatchback over its rivals.
- The new TDCi Diesel unit is now of 1.5 liter developing a whopping 99bhp and 215NM torque while petrol unit is of 1.2 liter churns out the max power of 86bhp and 1.5l Ti-VCT unit produces 110bhp power.
- The 1.5l diesel mill stands out and makes new Figo the most powerful hatchback in its segment with approx 34% and 40% more power than Swift and Grand i10.
- For fuel efficiency 1.2l Petrol unit delivers 18.16 KMPL of ARAI certified mileage but in real world one would get around 13 KMPL. The diesel variant offers best in class mileage of 25.83 km/l while 1.2 Ti-VCT has an ARAI mileage of 17KMPL but we got only 12.3KMPL during our test drive.
- The Old GEN model was one of the best-in-segment models in handling and drivability segment while ride quality on the new one is excellent too.
- Thanks to its crisp and precise gearbox along with light steering wheel, the handling becomes easy and smooth even at high speeds. Though it isn’t planted as the segment leader swift but it’s not far behind it.
- The 1.5l Ti-VCT engine puts new Figo in the category of hot hatches like Polo TSI and upcoming Punto EVO Abarth. On an open road, the engine showed its real strength and the large CC helps it deliver stable performance even when loaded with five passengers.
- We managed to toss new Figo to corners and thanks to refined suspension Figo keeps the excellent handling intact and would keep you detached from the potholes.
- Ford replaces the 1.4l unit with a new 1.5l diesel mill which now produces 99bhp power making it the powerful diesel hatch under 10 lakhs. However, as compared to petrol it does feels planted once pass the 1800rpm mark while low and mid ranges are its stronger points. As compared to petrol, the diesel variant is certainly a driver’s enthusiast car.
Space & dimensions:
- New Figo offers exceptional room to the occupants thanks to the extended dimensions; it is 91mm longer, 15mm wider and 98mm taller than previous model. The new model also has best in class wheelbase of2491mm which 2mm more than the last GEN model.
- The front seats are comfortable but not cushy as of EcoSport and stretched out driving position may not be of everyone tastes.
- The space at rear is comparatively better than the old gen model with plenty of knee room space but headroom is a bit strangle for taller passengers due to sloping roof. Rear also misses out on AC vents, map pockets and armrests.
- As for the cargo space, new model has 257 liters of it, which is now the segment best as it beats Grand i10 by just 1 litre.
- Interior has become way richer than the predecessor and even shame some premium segment hatchbacks. It has a same layout of its sedan sibling but gets different color scheme of all black as compared to dual beige on Aspire.
- Ford’s trendy hatchback now comes loaded with some decent new features like SYNC infotainment system which enables you to connect your Smartphone via Applink and also you can make calls.
- The top end titanium plus variant has an automatic climate control, power windows, electrically adjustable ORVMs, 12V power socket, Piano black finish etc. The blue illuminated display goes well the black-silver cabin.
- The lower variants of New GEN Figo shares comfort features including a mobile docking station with charging facility and navigation, fabric seat upholstery, adjustable front headrests, tilt steering and three pod instrument cluster.
- New Ford Figo misses out on various features on base variants like reverse parking sensors, keyless go, push start button, rear ac vents and cost cutting on certain places is evident but don’t think there anything to grouse about.
- Overall, a feature rich with practicality, spacious interiors which goes well with for utility prototypes in the country. However, the touchscreen system is the need of an hour nowadays so Ford should have done something to provide a big touch display in new Figo’s long amenities list.
- We have talked at the design of Figo Aspire in our review and the hatch version i.e. new Figo isn’t different at all from the front till the B-pillars.
- The outside glimpse has become trendier than ever as it gets the same Aston martin front grille, sweptback headlamps, bulge bonnet.
- Side profile to remains identical to Aspire and a deep shoulder lines runs across the sides which praises the design of the hatchback. The Side flared wheel arches makes sides much cleaner as compared to flared wheel arches of the old GEN model.
- New Figo looks stylish and cool and attractive in Ingot Silver and Ruby Red colors.
- The rear design is quite a simple one which would not offend anyone; it gets simple vertical taillights with clean boot lid.
- Overall the rear isn’t spectacular but it complements the overall muscular and well proportionate design of the scintillating hatchback.
- Ford has nailed it with Aspire when it comes to safety aids and the same story has been repeated with newly launched new Figo. Ford is providing a driver side airbag as standard across all variants.
- The top end Titanium+ variant is loaded with six airbags along with an array of features like ESP, EBD, TCS, HLA and many more making it the safest car in the segment.
- If you feel that safety features aren’t enough then there is something more to offer as Ford is offering 24/7 roadside assistance along with 2 years/100000 km warranty with new GEN Figo.
Ford is one of those brands of India which are still trying their best to satisfy their customers. Ford EcoSport laid the foundation of it while newly launched compact sedan is all set to take it further high and the new Figo hatchback has all the elements to cement it firmly. Ford has maintained the practicality and fun factor with new Figo while its competitors miss out on either of the one. New Figo is a blend of features, safety, comfort and punchy engines but the best bit though is competitive price range of the car. This new hatch will surely take Ford to newer heights in the country. Thumps up from our side!