Tata, the Indian manufacturer had a dream run during Indica phase. Last few years were good for Tata but in the era of excellence and competency, good not enough. With the Launch of compact sedan zest Tata is hoping to regain its place again. Zest is a new car with a new hope for Tata. We were eagerly waiting for the launch, as we can give its detail review to our readers. Let’s see whether our experts give Zest thumps or thumps down.
- Tata zest is a lowest price sedan in the segment. It starts with an affordable range of 4.64 lakhs.
- Zest petrol base variant as well as top variant is cheaper in terms of price from Hyundai Xcent, Dzire and Honda Amaze.
- Zest has outdone its rivals in pricing of Diesel trim too except Hyundai’s Xcent which a bit less costly.
Engine and Performance:
- Zest Arrives with new 1.3L Quadrajet diesel engine, first in segment automatic transmission and Familiar 1.2L turbocharged Revotron Petrol engine.
- Diesel’s Automatic Transmission could be the game changer for Tata as it is placed at very pocket friendly price and 1st in segment too.
- Petrol engine comes with 3 drive mode options; City, eco and power. Every time you start car it starts with default mode i.e.; city mode which delivers a balance of performance and efficiency, Eco mode for fuel efficiency and Power for fun driving or fast mode. New innovation from Tata’s side.
- Surprisingly, Petrol engine delivers the performance you might not expect from Tata, it is smooth, no lags while driving and with good fuel efficiency.
- Diesel engine seems to be the USP of Tata zest, as it eradicates the flaws of Tata’s Celerio like rigid of movements of gearbox and noise etc.
- Diesel has a sport option button underneath the gear which fixes the rpm level to 2000.
- Pre Zest Tata cars had a problem of vibrating at high speeds but this isn’t a case with Zest. It is constant and smooth during high speeds and good at corners as well.
- Zest is equipped with ABS and front-rear disc-drum brakes which also work well.
Space and Dimensions:
- Zest is a spacious car especially when we compare it with segment’s rival cars Xcent, amaze and Dzire, Zest is longest and widest them of all.
- Seats are comfortable with good quality of material used; Driver’s seat can be manually adjusted according to height with a good and clear front visibility.
- Rear space is the main consideration when we are talking about car’s dimensions, rear legroom and headroom space is ample if even there is a tall driver up front.
- Ground clearance for petrol variant is 175mm which is excellent but for diesel variant which is 165mm which is low as expectations.
- It has a boot capacity of 390 liters which is at par in comparison to its competitors.
- Tata Zest’s interior will give you an eye soothing feeling.
- When you sit in the car first thing that strikes you is the beautiful dashboard, unlike the typical Tata dashboard which is amazing and has dual tone color design.
- New 3 spoke compact steering wheel with bluetooth and voice command system.
- Dashboard has touchscreen ‘Harman’ music system with good sound quality with 8 speakers.
- Gear knob has aluminum finish around which looks cute, centrally located A/C vents with push button.
- Interiors are not best in class but with this price one can be okay with it.
- Zest’s looks all new but one might feel a little reflection of Indigo CS on it. Though chrome finished rear and tail lights differentiates it.
- Zest fascia comprises of new front grille with big and bright headlamps LED lights which looks stunning with new bonnet it looks nicer than Amaze.
- On the first glance Tata zest looks a tough built car with no cost cutting in it better than its competitors.
- Body colored bumpers and ORVMs with led blinkers looks impressive, centrally placed fog lights under the front Bumpers puts icing on the cake to the looks of Zest.
- Big 15” steel covered alloy wheels make the sides of car electrifyingly good.
- Tata Zest interesting features like Side impact protection system which prevents high impact of other vehicles which is not available in rival cars.
- It also comprises with features like advance generation ABS+EBD, Dual airbags, engine immobilizer, child lock etc.
- Rear and front defoggers looks luxurious.
- It also has pre-tensioners seat belts and system of auto locking of doors sensing the speed of the car.
- Other miscellaneous feature like door ajar warning, dual horns etc.
Tata zest is a result of Tata’s hell lot of effort and engineering and much improved aspect in all the departments. New innovation like in engine, design, and performance Zest on a right track to be successful in this segment and in the market. Price is also affordably good. Tata zest lacks cabin storage and it’s shaky after sale services. But besides this it impresses us a lot.
|Comparison of Tata Zest|
|Comparison of Tata Zest variants|