Mahindra has launched the new GEN of its successful SUV ‘Scorpio’ on 24th September 2014. Scorpio when it was launched for the first time in 2002 is a complete SUV and a trend setter, since then it gets tweaks in 2006, 2009 and 2010. New Scorpio is arriving some mechanical and cosmetic changes with attractive price range. So our expert tried their hands on New Scorpio and we are here with all the pros and cons of the New Scorpio which will surely help make up your mind about to go for new GEN Scorpio or not?
- Initial price of New Mahindra Scorpio S2 variant is at Rs. 8.40 lakhs which goes up to Rs. 13 lakh for the top variant S10 (4WD).
- Price is decently placed among the competitors, Renault duster offers less initial price and it’s another Tata safari Strome starts at higher initial price which starts at 9 lakh.
- High end Variant price of New Scorpio is at 13 lakhs which is again equally placed among competitors like duster and Safari Strome which top variants would cost you around the same price bracket.
- Since Scorpio is the most successful SUV since its launch and with the new features this time around this is a steal.
Engine & Performance:
- New GEN Scorpio is powered with two set of engines, one is for base variant S2 and one is for rest of the Variants (S4, S6, S8, and S10).
- S2 Variant is powered by 2.5L mCIDR diesel engine which returns 75BHP power and 200nm torque mated to 5 speed manual transmission and powering the front wheel drive system.
- Rest of the variants carries the same 2.2L mHawk turbocharged diesel engine which is capable of producing 120BHP power and 280nm of peak torque which is mated with 5 Speed manual transmission, S6, S6+ and S8 variants of this engine is based on front wheel drive system and S4 and S10 supports all wheel drive system.
- The engine are same as the current one with no upgrades, New Scorpio is available in six variants S2, S4, S6, S6+, S8 & S10.
- New Scorpio has a new feature called Shift on fly in 4WD variant which carries three modes 2D, 4D and 4L which allows you to change the driving mode according to the road situations and without much halt.
- Ride and handling of New Scorpio has been improved marginally, the driving experience is smooth on pothole roads and stable during high speeds.
- Steering is light and easy to move in and do not vibrate at higher speeds, gear knob too is now responsive and smooth to operate.
- You might feel lag up to 2000rpm but once it crosses that level than ride is ultra smooth and powerful. Turning radius of this GEN Mahindra Scorpio has been reduced to 5.4m from 5.6m.
- Fuel efficiency has been improved significantly, now it gives 15.37KPl mileage. But its competitor Renault Duster 4WD gives better output in mileage front with 19.72 KPL mileage.
Space & Dimensions:
- Mahindra Scorpio is tallest car when we compared it with Safari Strome, Innova and Renault Duster.
- New Scorpio has various seating prospects with 7 seater seating options, 8 seater and 9 seater options with Captain Seats and front facing seats for the 3rd row.
- There is no problem when it comes to legroom, headroom space for front and rear passengers, rear passengers will not face problem regarding cramping of shoulder space as there is ample availability at rear.
- For SUV’s 200mm ground clearance is considered as good and Scorpio has 180mm ground clearance which is fine if not good. Duster offers best in the lot ground clearance of 210mm.
- Wheelbase of 2680mm is good and better than the Duster and Safari Strome, Boot capacity of 460 liters is absolutely fantastic.
- Two tone seats not only looks eye soothing but sooth you for journeys with at most comfort ability and lateral support.
- Cabin looks perfect with some innovations, new color schemes and add-ons, add-ons are limited in numbers but are extravagant.
- Whole cabin is ornamented with black-grey dual color scheme which is used for dashboard, sides of the car.
- Seats are designed with blue-grey color scheme with premium quality Upholstery that looks stunning and pleasing.
- Central console now gets 6” inch touchscreen infotainment system with Blue sense App, voice messaging, reverse parking assistance, bluetooth support and in built navigation.
- Dashboard is now equipped with features like automatic air control, Intelli parking, chrome finished A/C vents etc.
- Rear passengers don’t need to get disappointed as they get rear seat entrainment system with twin LCD screens and to keep you cool an ultra cooling rear A/C vents.
- Overall look of the cabin is pleasing to eyes and with new tweaks inside the cabin it feel luxurious and royal.
- Most phenomenon and most noticed changes has been done on the exterior side by the Mahindra in order to target the large massed especially the youth.
- Front gets new styled head lamps, refreshed bonnet scoop and revamped silver finish grille and shiny round fog lamps.
- Side of the car is quite similar except new silver fender; big 17 inches alloy wheels and Body colored ORVM’s and door handles. A bit Pajero resemblance isn’t?
- Rear gets mixed evaluation because taillights look typical 90’s type and two tone appliqué on rear door looks fine not a wow thing for sure.
- Overall the look of the car is almost identical to us except the more hostile front with silver gazed headlights and a bonnet change.
- Two new colors Molten Red and Regal blue certainly capable to attract the youth.
- New GEN is now built on modern ladder frame chassis which provide more protection to the car and reduces the overall weight of car which is commendable.
- It has a special feature called panic braking indicators which automatically turn of the hazard lights to warn others.
- S4 and S6 variant will get a safety package sooner in which Dual airbags and ABS will come as standard feature.
- New GEN Scorpio is equipped with dual airbags, dual horn, speed sensing auto door lock, ABS with EBD, digital immobilizer which is now standard in all variants and over speed warning system.
- New GEN Scorpio has powerful headlamps with high beam and side protective claddings which makes it safer car.
Front changes are commendable, side and rear grabs a mix review from us and it might depend on individual taste whether they like it or not. Performance is absolutely fine and ride is silky with not much lag. Absence of automatic transmission is disappointment but we expect AT sooner. Overall, it gets a thumps up from our side with new innovations, the only thing need improvement is the rear and price also needs little consideration.
|Comparison of Mahindra Scorpio|
|Comparison of Mahindra Scorpio variants|