Finally after much hype, speculations and a much dramatic India launch by Mr. Sachin Tendulkar himself, the New and improved 2014 BMW X5 is here in the market. And with that, our work begins to measure it and present it in a much genuine form in front of you through our various sections like versus, specifications, critic reviews, user reviews and finally in our expert review section. Being done with most of the segments, it’s time for our experts to test this new vehicle and help you to get acquainted with it, its flaws, its plus points and all what they think about this big-league SUV. Let’s see what our experts have to say.
- This luxury-SUV has surely taken hearts of our experts who really think this vehicle to be very genuinely and competitively priced at 70.9 lakhs (Ex-Showroom Delhi).
- With more features and less drama like its hefty and even pricey counterparts, this phenomenal vehicle serves just the right purpose to each penny or should we say grand, spent on it, really!
Engine and Details
- A single variant 3.0 ltr 6-Cyl xDrive30d Diesel Engine has been used in this SUV
- Our peeps think that it’s better than ever for BMW with enough blends of power, performance and roar.
- It’s going to be a whole new level to drive this diesel sipping bad-boy which roars like a petrol, is quick, loud and all the way past 4000rpm.
- Apart from that, like its rival companies, a petrol engine would surely be missed like the one offered into the outgoing version.
- Car offers good BMW level drivability with advanced speed sensitive steering which ironically remains stiff mostly
- 8-speed AT is gem. Both ,for hassle free city rides and highway speed cruises.
- Performance in acceleration and speed could have been better but still, being a diesel mill in a huge body, does the work well.
- Mileage is phenomenal even after such rocking performance though.
- There is a bit body roll but you won’t feel it much until you are pushing it really hard around corners of some racing circuit. Hence, great in overall appeal. Thanks to the reduced weight.
- Tyres are low in profile yet fat grippy for enhanced grip and for evenly improved handling abilities.
- Decently performs off-road as well.
Space and Dimensions
- Car now looks bigger yet sportier with increased length which now makes it a good 488.6 cm longer providing better wheelbase.
- Internal space is altered too, to be huge but last row remains tight
- Ground clearance is altered and reduced to be 20.9 cm when it was 21.2 cm before on purpose for better road handling and less roll then before.
- The car is huge in size with a 620 litres boot space to top it all.
- Fresh and improved interiors with bold curves and finishes.
- Comes in various trims of upholstery to choose from for rich feel.
- Quality inside feels too classy.
- 26’’ LCD is handy in operations with full car data and entertainment features.
- Rear seating is roomy with equal levels of opulence and comforts.
- Driver oriented dash and more appealing yet driver friendly placement of stuffs inside is appreciated.
- BMW is really catching up with Germans and with this car; it has proved to be of equal class in interior functionality.
- Sleek body with chiseled and masculine design lines looks great.
- Looks more of a cute package than rugged and aggressive with loads of make-up.
- Feels sporty and sharp at angles at the same time.
- Rear reminds of old X1 and X3 which is a letdown.
- Not much has changed but this car in an overall appeal looks luxurious and astonishingly fragile.
Features like ABS with Brake Assist, Cruise Control, Safety steering columns, ESC, Hill Descent Assist, parking electro brakes works great on road.
Cornering Brake Control (DBC), Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) etc. are yet to be explored, but sounds great to make BMW X5 a complete package.
With more features, better and advanced driving skills, better handling and killingly sophisticated looks from out and inside as well with a room full of tech filled space, our experts give this car thumbs up to be just the right SUV for the market it has focused on. For user reviews on the same car, keep looking this space.
|Comparison of 2016 BMW X5 variants|