The SUV segment gets a new yet veteran entrant in the form of New Yeti; Yeti is probably the Skoda’s better car it can be driven on road and off road as well. Mechanically, new yeti is same as the current Yeti; no change in engines or specifications has been done. New Yeti gets some cosmetic changes and new introductions in interior and infotainment front. Yeti has not been so successful cars in terms of sales but whosoever bought it has become its huge fan. Now let’s see whether our experts become its fan or gets disappointed?
- Skoda Yeti is launched in two variants 4×2 and 4×4. Skoda 4×2 is priced at Rs.18.99 lakhs and Skoda yeti 4×4 at Rs. 20.53 lakhs both the prices are Ex- showroom Delhi.
- Both the variants cost too high in the segment particularly against Renault Duster, Mahindra XUV 500. Yeti is almost double the price of Duster so one can imagine it’s over price phenomena.
- Maintenance cost is also ted higher almost 1 Lac in 8 years while Duster has around 47k in 8 years and XUV 500 maintenance would cost you 72k in 8 years.
- Price is considered primary phenomena when there are so many good options available in the same category, so company should look after that as it will play a vital role in deciding the fate of the car.
Engine and Performance:
- New Skoda hasn’t received any mechanical changes accept a new Haldex clutch in 4×4 variant, it carries the same engine option of predecessor Yeti.
- 4×2 is powered by same 2.0L TDI diesel engine which produces 108BHP power and 250nm torque, While 4×4 variant is equipped with same 2.0L TDI Diesel which emits 138BHP power and 320nm of impressive torque.
- Don’t be fooled with the low specs in power because Yeti will impressive you immensely in city drive as well as on highways thanks to its brilliant handling.
- Steering wheel is light and responsive which makes it easy riding car which is good at corners, Yeti goes through bumpy roads easily, though second row passengers might not fell the same.
- 4×2 is equipped with 5 speed manual transmission and 4×4 with 6 speed Manual gearbox, so if you are waiting for an automatic SUV look somewhere else.
- 4×2 returns 17.72 KPL mileage while 4×4 gives lower 17.67 KPL mileage, Yeti’s rival Duster returns higher 19.0 KPL mileage than Yeti and XUV 500 is at 15.0 KPL which is lower than Yeti and Duster.
Space & Dimensions:
- Skoda Yeti measures 4233mm in length, 1793mm wide and 1691mm tall, you will clearly feel the shrink dimensions when you see Yeti from the outset.
- Yeti has 416 liters of fine boot space which can be extended to 1485 liters with all seats folded and 180mm of ground clearance is also low in the segment.
- Front row space is sufficient for driver and front passenger with not much thigh support, headroom is good at both rear and front seats and rear middle can folded as armrests which has two cup holders.
- Tall drivers will face problem in handling the steering wheel as they might not find the correct grip position of their hands in relation to steering wheel.
- Rear seats are comfortable for two persons only; three persons sitting at rear will have a hard time in long drives and will feel cramped.
- Yeti is full of internal storage space like bottle holders at front and back, storage beneath the front seat, cool storage department under the armrests and big glove department.
- Skoda Yeti 2014 has familiar interior design like its ancestor with some much needed add-ons, central console is based on all black theme, and some areas contains brilliant two tone wooden design.
- Seats are not SUV like but they are comfortable which not only hold you firmly but will also provide you good lateral support.
- Driver can adjust seating positioning of itself according to height thanks to electrically adjustable seat with memory function.
- Yeti gets music system named Bolero which we have seen in Skoda Superb it supports various devices like bluetooth, USB, MP3 etc.
- Central console has 6.5” LCD touchscreen with Multi function display like parking sensor display and bluetooth connectivity.
- Gone are the days when Yeti used to have four spoke steering wheel which is replaced by Skoda Superb inspired three spoke steering wheel.
- New Yeti gets a typical Skoda design which looks refreshing unlike the current one’s boxy and radical design which was quirky but in a good way.
- Halogen headlights are being replaced with Bi- Xenon headlights with Daytime running lights and cornering lights which look sharp and different.
- New front bumper gets new shape and design, Circular fog lamps is replaced by Split rectangular ones placed underneath the headlights which were earlier integrated with headlights and lower grille also gets a silver touch and new shape.
- Side gets new 16” alloy wheels except this there nothing to talk about as it remains moreover same like the current one, rear of the car is dazzling thanks to C shaped tail lights and rear bumpers with fake diffusers.
- Design of the car is certainly better than the previous one but if one is looking for conventional SUV (big and macho) which new yeti certainly lacks.
- New Yeti is loaded with safety feature like a typical SUV does like ABS, EBD, HBA and ESP etc.
- Yeti has special features like it has a system which cut down the fuel supply during crash in order to save vehicle from catching fire and cornering function with fog lights.
- It consists various other features like HHC (hill hold control), external mirror defoggers, dual front airbags, engine immobilizer with floating code system, password protected infotainment system.
- New yeti has tyre pressure monitoring system which saves the ideal pressure when button is pressed which is placed at the central console separately.
- Other safety features are remote controlled locking- unlocking of doors and windows and has parking sensors with voice recognition/guidance.
New Skoda Yeti is an improved introduction design looks innovative and some important things are added, new roof color options are giving extra elegance to its design and beauty. However New Yeti is at very higher price considering the competition around and less priced alternatives available in the form of XUV 500 and Duster. Another drawback of Yeti is absence of AMT, One expects AMT from SUV who is that highly priced, though there are rumors that it will soon get AMT which will attract many buyers.
|Comparison of Skoda Yeti Style|
|Comparison of Skoda Yeti Style variants|