The MPV segment just got more competitive with the launch of Renault Lodgy and it challenges the King of MPVs Innova. When someone Thinks of MPV the only name comes to mind is Toyota Innova, so one can imagine the domination of Innova since over a decade. Toyota Innova has been selling in huge numbers despite of being a decade old car and higher price tag. Toyota Innova faces competition from Maruti Suzuki Ertiga and Honda Mobilio with average sales number around 5000 unit a month but none of them able to dethrone Innova. In our expert segment we have driven the top spec Lodgy and our experts thinks Lodgy to be the first serious competitor for Innova. In this section our critics will analyze the high and low points of Lodgy, so without wasting much time, let’s figure it out.
- Unlike its competitors, Renault Lodgy only comes in diesel engine option but with two state of tunes 83bhp and 108.5bhp. When compared it with Innova, Ertiga and Mobilio it delivers the highest power and torque in the segment.
- The strongest point about Renault Lodgy is off course its engine which is very quiet, responsive and quick as compared to Innova and Mobilio. Lodgy moves around the city effortlessly, gearbox is smooth and highway performance is better than Innova.
- The Lodgy uses Macpherson struts at front and torsion beam at rear that provides brisk handling and high speed stability. Lodgy can do 0-100 km sprint in 12 seconds which is quite fast considering its size and body roll.
- The USP of Lodgy is the airy and spacious cabin which not only contains rich features but offers ample headroom and shoulder space. The main reason behind buying the MPV or MUV is the space it has to offer and Lodgy justifies the criteria very efficiently and spaciously.
- Get inside the Lodgy it looks fresh especially the two tone dashboard and glossy black central console which adds plush feel to the cabin. Apart from long list of features including touchscreen MEDIANAV infotainment system, A/c vents for all three rows, Lodgy has plenty of storage places to store your documents, bottles etc.
- If there is anything that needs to be changed in Lodgy is the boxy and unpleasant styling of Lodgy, Renault followed the simple design philosophy which turned out to be quirky specially the rear end.
- The 2nd row offers good amount of headroom and shoulder space but the problem is the limited legroom space which becomes worst when there is tall driver or front passenger sitting at the front seat.
- The space problem is not just limited to 2nd row only, the low seating position of 3rd row which puts you in crouch position. The legroom might be good at 3rd row but the low seats makes you sit with your knees facing skyward which is not at all comfortable.
- Lodgy is a slow starter, the 108bhp variant suffers turbo lag below 1800rpm where Innova performs the strongest and fuel efficiency is also on the lower side as compared to Mobilio and Ertiga.
- Renault’s service network isn’t as wide as Maruti, Honda and Toyota though the French car maker is making continuous effort to expand it but it would take some time.
|Comparison of Renault Lodgy|
|Comparison of Renault Lodgy variants|