MPV segment is getting crowded and very competitive day by day with introduction of Maruti Ertiga and Honda Mobilio. We are here to analysis the old yet refreshed player of this segment i.e. Mahindra’s MPV Xylo which recently gets some cosmetic and interior changes. Mahindra was one of the chief competitors in MPV segment with Bolero but Innova’s class and brand name is ruling this section from quite some time now. But arrival of Ertiga and Mobilio certainly weaken the position of Mahindra in this segment, especially the sky rocketing demand of Mobilio is certainly a favorite one now in this segment. So let’s go through the in-depth analysis of Xylo.
- Mahindra’s MPV Xylo is available between the price range of Rs. 7.52 lakh to 10.93 lakh for the top variant.
- When we compare it with Toyota Innova, Maruti Ertiga and Honda Mobilio, Xylo is at par with these competitors hence it turns out to be Xylo’s biggest strength
- The price of top variant of Xylo is much lower than that of Innova as well as Honda Mobilio.
Engine & Performance:
- Xylo is available in only diesel variant with two engine options- one is 2.5L mDi CRDe engine which produces 93.5BHP power and 200Nm torque while the other one is 2.2L mhawk engine which is responsible of producing 120BHP power and 280Nm torque.
- Xylo is probably the highest power spec diesel car among Innova, Ertiga and Mobilio at least on paper.
- Once you start up the engine it has a nice feel, performance and engine wise it is a better car than Innova, Xylo take 2-3 seconds less than Innova to reach 100 km mark.
- Xylo’s ride is full of grunt when you are on highway it takes no time to reach three digit speed and it feels effortless to overtake as well.
- Xylo’s gearbox is quite rigid as compared to Innova, specially downshifting of 4th and 5th gear is lot stiff, though it might improve as you used to it and it eases up as kilometers pile on.
- Xylo returns a fuel efficiency of 14 KPL it is low as compared to Ertiga and Mobilio but Xylo’s main competitor is Innova which yields only 12.9 KPL.
- Ride and Handling wise it is bit a boat with heavy steering wheel and Body roll, it misses the MPV thing in this department like Innova and Mobilio has and overall Innova is far better than Xylo with lighter steering wheel with more spontaneous reaction.
Space & Dimensions:
- When you Mahindra Xylo it looks like a huge built car with dimensions of 4520mm length, 1850mm wide and 1905mm tall.
- Mahindra Xylo is widest and tallest car among Innova, Ertiga and Mobilio.
- Xylo has ground clearance of 186mm which helps it absorbing which comes in it paths, be it bumpy roads or potholes and wheelbase of 2760mm certainly help the cause.
- Xylo offers seating capacity of 8 persons with three rows and different seating arrangement options like 9/7 seater side facing, 8 seater front facing and 7 seater front facing with captain seats and 60:40 rear seat split.
- Seats are way comfortable, cushy and supportive with second row passengers gets an option of flip open tables.
- Knee room, Headroom and legroom space isn’t a problem at all in this spacious MPV which one suffers in Innova but not unbearable. Boot Space capacity of Xylo is slightly on the lower side.
- On the first glance Xylo looks like a bulky and muscular car but it much better than its previous version which lacked modernity.
- Xylo gets a refreshing touch this time around with chrome touch at front and rear end of Xylo, front grille with eight vertical slack lines, neat and sharp headlights, rectangular fog lamps fitted at the corners of new bumpers which adds sporty element to it.
- Bonnet is now smoother now as compared to the previous model and paint quality used is also up market now.
- Side profile is now beautiful eliminating the dullness of previous GEN model with neat body colored door handles, ORVM’s, redesigned alloy wheels, black claddings and body graphics gives it a sleek look
- Rear profile of Xylo is moreover an identical one but with welcome changes like clear lens tail lights, rear spoiler and integrated stop lamp.
- Xylo’s cabin showed a massive improvement over the period of time but after the latest update it looks more soothing but somehow falls behind from Innova’s class and quality of interiors.
- Xylo cabin is adorned by dual tone color scheme with dark faux wood inserts, though the design of dashboard has remained same.
- Steering wheel is now mounted controls like audio controls, voice commands bluetooth telephony and cruise control.
- From entertainment point of view Xylo has 2 DIN audio system with bluetooth, AUX in, USB support with 4 speakers.
- Xylo gets leather seats which are firm, supportive which are supremely comfortable and quality of plastics is also improved by some extent but it could have been better.
- Feature list also increases with features like A/C vents and blowers for all rows, individual armrests, various seating arrangements etc makes it a feature rich car as well.
- Xylo is also safety rich car as well with dual airbags, anti lock brake assistance and electronic braking distribution etc.
- Xylo now gets cruise control system as well which fixes up the speed, rear parking camera with display assistance and front fog lamps.
- Other safety features of Xylo are central locking, engine immobilizer with floating code, power windows, keyless entry etc.
- Xylo is equipped with some special safety features like crash sensors, vehicle stability control system and anti theft system.
Xylo’s performance, refreshment in exterior and interior profile and most important probably the strength of Xylo is its aggressive pricing which makes Xylo hard to ignore. But well established Innova and Honda Mobilio which is reaching heights in just short span of time is making difficult task for Mahindra to strengthen its position in this segment.
|Comparison of Mahindra Xylo|
|Comparison of Mahindra Xylo variants|