BMW launched facelift version of X3 on 28 August 2014 with options of two variants, Expedition and xLine. BMW is concentrating on delivering performance based cars to the Indian market sidelining its typicality. BMW X3 is more sort of SAV (Sports activity vehicle) rather than a conventional SUV. Some external and internal changes have been done on X3 but with many competitors already present in the segment can X3 sneak in with its class or not? Let’s have an expert analysis of it.
- BMW X3 has Two variants- one is X3 20d Expedition which costs at Rs. 44.90 lakhs and another X3 20d xLine which range at Rs. 49.90 Lakhs.
- Audi Q5 and Volvo XC60 which competes with BMW X3 xLine in terms of pricing which are placed at higher price than X3.
- BMW X3 is set at higher price when we look at the car it is replacing i.e. X3 30d.
Engine and Performance:
- 2014 BMW X3 both variants are mated with 2.0L 1995cc Turbo Diesel engine which powers 190BHP power and 400nm torque.
- BMW X3’s engine is powerful of the lot in terms of power and share similar torque with Q5 and XC60 but less than Land rover Freelander 2.
- Handling of BMW X3 is pretty good but when you compared it with Audi Q5 it lacks the punch which Q5 has.
- X3’s engine has improved than its previous versions which results in better fuel efficiency than Q5, XC60 and Land rover Freelander 2. In totality it results in brilliant on road performance.
- X3 has 8 speed automatic transmission while Q5 is carrying 7 speed AMT and Volvo XC60 has 8AMT.
- BMW X3 accelerates 0-100 in 8.2 sec with the top speed of 210 km/h while Volvo, Land rover Freelander 2 and Q5 takes more time to reach that figures with lesser top speeds.
Space and Dimensions:
- BMW X3 measures at 4657mm length, 2089mm width and 1678mm height, X3 lengthiest car among the competitors.
- Headroom and legroom isn’t a problem in X3 ample space for leg and head with head restraints adding comfort element to it.
- Inner cabin space is more than sufficient for passengers but when we talk of the wideness of X3 in totality which is 2089mm is lowest them of XC60 and Land rover Freelander 2.
- X3 offers 212mm ground clearance which is better than its previous version but not better than Volvo XC60’s 230mm of ground clearance which is best among these cars.
- In X3 there is no shortage of storage space with various storage departments in built and it offers 550 liters boot space that can be extended to 1600L which is excellent.
- BMW X3 interiors are dazzling and classy one would want to see in SUV. .
- Starting from the dashboard, Expedition variant gets wood touch with pearl finish while xLine gets walnut shade designing.
- Central console is equipped with features like A/C vents, storage box, 16.5 cm infotainment system and numbers of buttons.
- Seats are very comfortable with best quality material used with several color options and seats have X written head restraints.
- Gearbox is smooth to operate and with it you can three driving mode options which are ECOPRO, comfort and sports modes.
- Apart of these top variant of X3 gets features like interior packages, Hi-fi music system, and two 12V sockets at rear.
- No doubt BMW is a classy car but its rival cars are equipped with more number of interiors features.
- Facelift BMW X3 has awesome outer looks with some changes done especially up front and at rear.
- Front bumper went through a makeover with new dual tone color and design; same is done with rear bumper.
- Headlamps gets modification with Bi-xenon headlights with auto washers, Daytime running lights and LED fog lights puts icing on the cake of the front profile of X3.
- Side profile is as beautiful as Front with Black color B-C pillars, lustrous OVRM’s, new alloy wheels and Aluminum protection strips.
- Rear gets dual color bumpers, tail lights with new lighting blueprint and aluminum protection with tail pipe and reflectors.
- Overall looks of the car is similar to X3 30d except few changes which has been done at front and rear.
- BMW is loaded with various sophisticated safety features to ensure safety of the passengers and to avoid any accidents wherever possible.
- It has special feature of CBC (cornering brake control) which balance brake at corners, BMW intelligence system, hill descent control and parking brake with auto hold.
- Front-rear and side is protected with impact system which minimizes the impact of collision.
- Dynamic stability control and dynamic traction control keeps the vehicle in balance in terms of power.
- ABS with brake assistance, electronic immobilizer, 3 point seat belt tensioners, Run flat tyres with reinforced side walls, daytime running lights and dynamic braking lights etc are its safety features.
Improved efficiency, good engine performance, brilliant driving dynamics, luxurious internal and refreshed outer look goes in favor of X3 but limited access of its network, high maintenance cost and unavailability of navigation system is a sort of a drawback. Some of Its rivals are offering better features with low maintenance value also goes against X3.
|Comparison of BMW X3|
|Comparison of BMW X3 variants|