Toyota Kirloskar enjoys good amount of market share in India and considered as one of the trusted brands. Toyota Altis series and Toyota Fortuner have been successful cars in their segment; the latter is known as the king of SUVs in the country. Toyota recently launched the refresh version of its sedan Etios with new nomenclature called Platinum Etios and new design, while mechanically it’s same as previous GEN model. Toyota Etios is the only sedan in its segment to receive four stars in the GNCAP crash test and get dual front airbags, ABS with EBD as standard across the range. Also, it has been awarded as the most dependable car in the mid size segment as it offers peace of mind ownership and low maintenance cost. However, Toyota Etios is always cursed for unconventional cabin design and simple exterior design but changes made by Toyota can evaporate the flaws of unconventionality or not? Let’s look in detail.
- Toyota launched the refresh version of Etios and with that they also raised the price bar of all the variants. Petrol version of new Etios starts at Rs. 6.94-7.85 lakh which is way higher than its rivals like Maruti Swift Dzire, Honda Amaze and Tata Zest.
- Diesel version of Platinum Etios is placed between Rs. 8.07-8.98 lakh again it is higher than what other cars of this segment are offering.
- Price certainly turns out to be new Etios’s negative aspect especially when we see the competition around and the package other cars are offering.
Engine and Performance:
- Under the bonnet Toyota continues to offer Etios in same 1.5L DOHC petrol and 1.4L SOHC D-4D diesel engine, the petrol produces 88.8BHP power and maximum torque of 132Nm while 1.4 L diesel trim is able to deliver 67.7BHP power and 170Nm peak torque.
- Toyota Etios is always known for its refined engines and fine performances with decent power output and good drivability.
- Toyota Petrol delivers good performance thanks to its balanced power weight ratio which makes it quick; you need not to be working on gear lever.
- In petrol engine Torque delivery at low rpm is commendable; you can even heave away from speed breaker on 2nd gear, shift to 5th gear at just over 50 km/hr and you won’t get any complaint.
- There is no problem of NVH level till 100 km/hr mark or 4000rpm but after that engine gets too noisy you can feel wind and tyre noise which could frustrate you
- The low powered Diesel engine on the other hand is also a peppy one with light clutch, smooth and slick gearshifts without any turbo lag.
- There is a bit clink when you start the engine but as it heats up there in no sound of it outside, but Etios diesel has same problem like petrol high NVH level after 100km/hr or 3000rpm mark.
- Ride quality of diesel is admirable and impressive; you can comfortably cruise on 100-110 km/hr on highways, though overtaking needs effort with slow progress.
- Fuel efficiency of new Etios is at par with competitors, Petrol churns out 16.7KPL mileage which is lower than Dzire, Amaze and Xcent while Diesel delivers 23.59KPL which is fine but falls behind from Hyundai Xcent and Honda Amaze.
Space and Dimensions:
- At tape, it is similar story with no change in dimensions which are 4265mm in length, 1695mm in width and 1510mm in height, it is the longest sedan among Amaze, Xcent and Dzire.
- Toyota Etios with the wheelbase of 2550mm beats Honda Amaze, Hyundai Xcent and Dzire, translating into more than adequate room for rear occupants. Be it aged member or children, the sedan offer one of the most comfortable ingress and egress.
- Boot space of 595 liters is way better than its competitors and even more than its big brother Altis, this huge boot space is more than sufficient to swallow airport or holiday luggage. It can be further enhanced by folding down the second row seats.
- There are number of storage spots inside like 1 liter bottle holders at rear doors, two cup holders at gear lever and 13 liters glove box space etc.
- Seats are large and surprisingly very supportive with adequate head and neck support, rear passengers will also enjoy the spacious cabin and headroom and legroom space.
- Space would be the primary selling point for Platinum Etios over cars like Dzire, Xcent if one is looking for complete family and practical sedan.
- Toyota has made some change in the exterior glimpse of platinum Etios which might not excite everyone but not offend anyone for sure.
- If there was any problematic area in Etios it was the basic design and Toyota try to rectify it by making it sportier and giving subtle cosmetic upgrades.
- The front fascia now feature V-shaped grille with black inserts and lots of chrome, bigger air dam, round fog lamps and faux skid plates make this version more elegant and aggressive than ever.
- Toyota new Etios looks premium and rich in pearl white crystal shine and vermilion red color shades.
- Apart from these changes new Etios is same as old GEN Etios, side remains same with features 15” alloy wheels, subtle crease, flap type chrome door handles while rear gets revised bumper, redesigned tail lights and roof mounted rear spoiler.
- Toyota has made some changes in interior as well like the exteriors to eradicate the flaw of unconventionality of cabin design.
- One shouldn’t expect the luxury interiors or features like Corolla Altis because Etios is Toyota’s cheapest price car in India as well in the world.
- New Etios have same spacious and airy cabin like the old model with two tone black beige upholstery, leather wrapped multi function steering wheel, central console with a 2 DIN music system with multimedia support, unconventional air-cons, slick gear knob etc.
- Above mentioned features compliments the unique and quirky cabin design of new Etios and the quality has also improved but still a notch lower than Volkswagen Ameo, Honda Amaze.
- When it comes to safety, Etios is undoubtedly the safest bet in the segment as it offer dual airbags, ABS (anti-lock braking system) with electronic brake force distribution (EBD) as standard across the line up.
- New Etios is loaded with features like Dual airbags, ABS, EBD, front fog lamps, central locking, engine immobilizer, traction control, door ajar warning, anti-theft system and crash sensor etc.
- A practical family sedan with spacious interiors
- Standard dual airbags, ABS and EBD
- Humungous 595 liters of boot space
- Excellent in city drivability with well tuned suspension
- Toyota’s unmatched after sales service
- Unconventional dashboard and simple styling
- Average quality of the interiors with evident cost cutting
- Misses out on certain necessities
- No AMT or Automatic transmission
|Comparison of Toyota Etios|
|Comparison of Toyota Etios variants|