It was 2011 when Skoda Fabia based sedan ‘Rapid’ was launched in India and despite contributing more than 80 percent of Skoda in India it still stands on last spot in its vary segment. It’s been five years since Czech automaker’s most popular sedan got an update and now finally car received its most comprehensive upgrade. In a bid to increase the numbers and to compete against Maruti Ciaz and Honda City, Skoda brings some familiar elements along with mechanical update to new Rapid. Let’s check whether these new changes make new rapid a better preposition or not.
- Prices of new Skoda rapid starts at Rs. 8.34 lakh for the base petrol trim and it go all the way to 11.36 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi) for the range topping petrol trim.
- Diesel variant range between Rs. 9.48 lakh-12.67 lakh while diesel automatic costs at Rs. 10.06 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).
- Though prices may be on the higher side but what you get is a sheer solidity and premiumness which makes rapid facelift not a bad deal to invest your money.
Engine & Performance:
- New Rapid retains the same two engines- 1.6l MPI petrol and 1.5l TDI diesel though the latter has been tuned to deliver more power.
- The 1.5TDi engine now produces 108.5BHP [email protected] and 250nm [email protected], number are not big for a sedan but better than its competitors.
- The 1.5l TDi diesel engine is equipped with 5 speed manual transmission and a 7 speed automatic transmission which is smooth to operate while petrol engine is coupled with 5 speed manual gearbox.
- Automatic gearbox got two modes D and S, D is for swift part throttle and S is for sharper throttle response and there is cruise control option available in New Rapid for the first time.
- The 1.6l MPI engine is on the noisy side like before but performance wise it’s just fabulous but only after it passes 2000rpm mark. Drivability is certainly the highlighting point of the engine you hardly need to shift gears.
- The handling is pretty excellent too and driving the sedan around corners can be plenty of fun thanks to good grip and decent steering feedback.
- Early Version of Skoda Rapid had one main drawback of heavy clutch which is being solved by dual clutch automatic transmission. The AT is an advantage for rapid as City and Ciaz are not offered with diesel automatic while rapid has dual clutch gearbox.
- The 1.5l TDI unit is a more torquey unit but has low down torque hence looses the fun factor of 1.6 MPI petrol engine. The oil burner might be noisy at times which is bearable
- There’s lot of torque available before turbo kicks in at 2000rpm and it hangs around 4500rpm mark though it can rev past 5000rpm mark but doing so can make engine strained and noisy.
- The 1.6l MPI Petrol delivers 15.4 KPL for the manual and 14.8 KPL for the AT transmission while Diesel MT engine gives improved mileage of 21.14 KPL while Automatic diesel gives 21.72 KPL mileage.
- Rapid facelift now looks typical Skoda thanks to straight line design rather than curvy of the outgoing model. Visually, it now looks mini Octavia though Rapid is built on different platform altogether.
- Donning the familiar design, new Rapid gets new chrome outlined grille with vertical slates; projector headlamp set up with LED daytime running lights and integrated turn indicators just like its bigger siblings Audi.
- The front is now wider and adorns wider air dam, new stylish fog lamps and squared off accents giving the car sporty image.
- The side profile is identical to the previous model expect for the new 5-spoke matone alloy wheels, chrome embellishment on door handles and ORVMs.
- At rear, re-profiled bumper, a thin spoiler, smoked tail lamps and chrome strip are the new additions. Overall the update makes new Rapid aggressive and younger.
- New Skoda Rapid wears ebony sand color theme making things fresh and youthful flanked by excellent build quality.
- For features, new Rapid gets perforated seats with adjustability function, a 6.5 inch intuitive touch system with mirrorlink app so you can pair your Smartphone though it misses out on navigation.
- Other features include automatic climate control with rear con vents, one touchdown power windows, new steering wheel which can be adjusted for height, rain sensing wipers, cruise control, central armrest
- It might not offer the best in class space but seats are comfortable enough to carry you for long distances as you get adequate thigh support. The 460 liters of boot space might not be class leading but has a lower loading tip and can swallow decent number of bags for weekend trip.
- Overall, the cabin ambience is great; quality is top notch while new features make it a lavish update.
- Being safety as priority, new Rapid comes with dual front airbags and ABS as standard across the range.
- Other noteworthy features include electronic stability control (ESC), park distance control, reverse parking camera, engine immobilizer with floating code system, hill hold control and Parktronic sensor at rear etc.
- New Skoda rapid carries some special features as well like rough road package, supply cut off during crash and over speed sensing door lock system.
Skoda Rapid has been sensational car since its launch but somehow lost amidst the tough competition. Meanwhile the new update certainly made rapid more competitive, starting with design which looks more aggressive and sharper flanked by new rich features and powerful diesel engine with DSG automatic gearbox. Prices may be on the higher side but in return you get sheer solidity and safety. The new rapid makes a strong case for itself after this update.
|Comparison of Skoda Rapid|
|Comparison of Skoda Rapid variants|