Skoda Rapid has been in India since 2011, despite being the most successful Skoda in the country its success rate hasn’t been impressive as compared to competition. Rapid has walked on the same footsteps of Vento and hence received similar response which made buyers to go for Honda city or Value for money Maruti Ciaz. Half a decade into its existence, new Rapid has been empowered with punchier diesel engine, sharpened aesthetics and new features to make it more tempting. Skoda is hoping that new update will help Rapid to double its annual numbers by end 2017. So these changes are enough to increase footsteps inside Skoda showrooms? Well we drove the facelift to find the answer, you can find in our expert review section. We are here to let you know about high and low points of new Skoda Rapid, let’s have a look.
- One of the strongest points of new Rapid is its familiar crystalline design in line with Skoda Superb and Octavia. The front fascia is now leaner than older model owing to new moustache grille, projector headlamps with LED DRLs, slim spoiler and new smoked tail lights.
- New Rapid now has a tuned and more powerful 1.5L TDI diesel unit that develops 5bhp more power as compared to older model but torque figures remain same at 250Nm. The engine still offers stress free ride once passed 2000rpm well complimented by adequate braking.
- The Skoda Rapid diesel is available with 7-speed DSG automatic gearbox which is its USP and makes driving easier and engaging for city as well as highways.
- On Ride and handling wise new Rapid is among the best performers with smooth cornering ability. New Rapid has two modes D (normal Drive) and Sport, so you don’t need to slow down during potholes or uneven roads.
- Despite sharing similar dashboard with Vento, new Rapid receives its own set of upgrades in the form of Mirrorlink infotainment system, projector headlamps with daytime running lights, rain sensing wipers, cruise control and perforated seats with new upholstery.
- The European build is more concrete than its fellow competitors and Skoda’s 4 years service care program further puts icing on the cake.
- Performance of Petrol isn’t as brilliant as diesel box; the engine makes noise when pushed hard. It’s not rev heavy so takes time to get in range and sprints slower as compared to diesel.
- Rear space is bit of concern for rear passengers though it is made for 5 persons but it easily fits only 4 owing to rear floor bump. Rear space is just average as compared to Maruti Ciaz and Honda City.
- Last but not least the after sales service which still remains the scariest point about Skoda, though it’s getting better but at the slower pace.
Skoda Rapid was already a driver’s enthusiast car but thanks to powerful diesel engine, more comfort features and new design things has just become better. Skoda is offering 4-year warranty, maintenance package and road assist package all just at a competitive pricing makes Rapid more lucrative preposition for buyers.
|Comparison of Skoda Rapid variants|