Celebrating the success of Cruze and 1 million landmark of beat hatchback, Chevrolet has launched Sail Sedan in a redesigned mode; sail has been a successful car for Chevrolet which crossed almost 6 lakh unit mark across the globe. Chevrolet launched Sail with no change in engines but Sail Sedan 2014 gets some tweaks in interiors and exteriors. Chevrolet sail will compete with Honda Amaze, Hyundai Xcent and Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire.
- Price of sail sedan starts at 5.19 lakhs which goes up to 7.64 lakhs for the top variant.
- Initial price of Sail is higher than Hyundai Xcent and Swift Dzire they both comes at the starting price around 4.8 lakh and price of top variant of Sail is at par with its competitors.
Engine & Performance:
- Sail Sedan didn’t get any mechanical changes in engines it continues to get power from same 1.2L petrol and 1.3L SMARTTECH diesel engine with 74BHP and 82.5BHP power respectively.
- Sail sedan returns an efficient mileage of 22.1 KPL for diesel and 18.2 KPL for the petrol trim.
- Both the engines perform well on road and off road as well, driving is smooth and impressive can be a fierce competitor in the segment
- Ride and handling of Sail is excellent and surprisingly it gets better during high speeds with minimal lag.
- Gear knob is too small hence reduces the shifts but it may turned out to be rubbery at times.
- Sail Petrol sprints 0-100 km in just 11.9 seconds with the top speed of 150-155 km/hr and Diesel reaches 0-100 in 13 sec with 145-150 km/hr as top speed.
- The NVH levels in sail sedan could have been reduced to some extent.
Space & Dimensions:
- Sail sedan has a seating capacity for 5 persons and you will not get any complaint regarding legroom or headroom in either of the rows.
- Sail sedan offers 370 liters of decent boot space and ground clearance of 174mm for petrol mill and 168mm for diesel.
- As far as cabin space is concerned, it consist many storage areas like bottle holders at doors, rear seats with two cup holders, space under the rear seats, but glove box is small but space is available on the top of it.
- In terms of space Sail sedan offers overall a good package with dimensions of 4249mm length, 1690mm wideness and 1503 height and wheelbase of 2465mm is sufficient.
- Cabin now gets a dual tone black beige color scheme replacing a simple cream color tone which gives cabin a Midas touch.
- Instrument panel is now equipped with 2 DIN music system with bluetooth connectivity, USB, AUX-in, Hands free support.
- Leather wrapped steering wheel looks sportier with Chevrolet gold plated logo but with no steering mounted controls is a disappointment
- Gear knob and door handles is decked with shiny chromic finish looks good.
- Besides these changes instrument panel has multi function display multi trip meter, seat belt warning and average fuel consumption which are glamorized with black blue elegant looking lighting.
- External side of Chevrolet sail is moreover same with some minor changes like redesigned Circular chromic front fog lamps, laminated wind screen and variant badging at rear.
- Apart from above mentioned changes Sail sedan is same, front side gets decent air dam with single chrome line bow tie and wide bonnet.
- Side is similar to the current ongoing model with 12” spoke alloy wheels, body painted rear view mirrors and chrome door handles, but amaze looks better from side viewing angles as compared to sail.
- Rear side gets same Chevrolet’s tail lights design which looks pleasing and better than its competitors.
- Overall design of Chevrolet is certainly better than Dzire and Hyundai Xcent but Honda Amaze has better striking appeal than Sail.
- Sail sedan is based on safe cage structure technology which provide protection to passengers from any collision
- Sail sedan carries safety features like dual air bags for front occupants, ABS+EBD, child door locks and seat belt pre-tensioners.
- Sail has some special safety features like Automatic door lock analyzing the speed of the car, engine immobilizer with unauthorized detection system and remote keyless entry.
- The only drawback sail sedan has in terms of safety features that ABS and EBD are not standard equipments for base variants of Sail Sedan.
- Competitive Price range
- Ultra spacious cabin
- Good Fuel efficiency of diesel trim
- Fair power delivery of both the engines
- Cost cutting in interior quality
- Absenteeism of music system in base variants
- High NVH levels in diesel box
- ABS and EBD not standard across all variants
|Comparison of Chevrolet Sail|
|Comparison of Chevrolet Sail variants|